The first thing you’ll see this year when you walk in the front doors is likely to be our greeter table – our welcome banner, souvenir books, and one or two friendly people to direct you wherever you’d like to go.
If you’re new, they’ll show you around the convention, help you get registered, and give you an idea about what Penguicon is all about!
If you’re the kind of person who enthusiastically talks about Penguicon throughout the year and wanted a way to contribute to our all-volunteer family without committing to monthly meetings or lugging kegs, THIS IS FOR YOU!
This position DOES
- Allow you to hang out at the front door to check out the new arrivals, like you would anyway
- Allow you to make someone else feel less confused/overwhelmed and more welcome to the con
- Allow you to run around the hotel on tours, with people in tow, as madcap as you’d like, to show them what’s awesome at Penguicon
- Give you a chance to hand out ribbons (while they last)
- Get you typical volunteer swag, a Penguicon sticker (while they last), and a special ribbon only for greeters
- Get you a shout-out at Closing Ceremonies
- Make you THE FACE OF PENGUICON
This position DOES NOT
- Provide hours for reimbursing your badge. Kalika still needs volunteers for vital positions during the con, and we do not want to take away from that with the greeter desk!
Many of the ConCom plan on taking some time at the greeter desk, including myself, the Con Chair, and the Head of Programming. Many “old hands” at Penguicon have also volunteered to show people around.
We ask that you not volunteer for this if it’s your very first year at Penguicon (the opposite of Fight Club).
If Penguicon has shown the love to you over the past decade-plus, show a little love back through the Greeter Table by volunteering some of your time.